Frequently Asked Questions
- Like any market, the prices of gold and other precious metals vary throughout the day. You can always check our website for current market prices.
- There is a difference between the contract (or spot) price and the price of a physical product. All physical products, whether coins, bars, or even jewelry have an additional premium based on manufacturing costs, shipping, supply and demand, and quality.
ICA has been in the precious metals business since 1972, continuously operating longer than any other firm. Investing in gold requires knowledgeable advisors who have developed the best approach. We work directly with you to build a portfolio reflecting your individual goals
- ICA charges a modest fee above the price for which products can be acquired on the wholesale exchange. As a broker/dealer, we work within our own inventory as well as directly through multiple wholesale suppliers, mints, and manufacturers to ensure the lowest possible price for the clients.
- The actual percentage ICA charges can vary based on product, as some products do have additional costs to acquire, such as in the case of importing from other countries. Your ICA advisor will walk you through commissions and spreads, fully disclosing the ICA brokerage fees.
We accept either personal checks or wire transfers. We do not accept cash or cash equivalents like money orders, credit cards, or bitcoin as they require additional reporting by the dealer.
Depending on the type of payment, it could be a few days to a few weeks. All personal check payments require a nine day holding period until product is shipped. Funds sent by wire transfer allow for a quick shipment, usually within a week of receipt of the wire.
ICA uses all major shipping carriers, and packages always require a signature at time of delivery. In many cases the client can request a specific carrier, including US Postal Service, UPS or FedEx. We can also deliver to post office boxes via the US Postal Service. Insurance is carried by the shipper until you have signed for your package.
ICA guarantees to buy back anything our clients purchased through us, at the current market value. Should you decide to liquidate through us, we do need to have received the product prior to confirming the bid price. Your ICA advisor will walk you through the best, and safest means of shipping to us. Once received, we send payment 14 days after locking in the price.
ICA strongly encourages our clients to use a 3rd party storage facility rather than the dealer from which you purchased the product. There are a few options we recommend for either domestic storage here in the US, or international storage in locations like Canada, Switzerland, and Singapore. Talk to your ICA advisor today about which storage option may be right for you.
Yes, there are a number of trustees that allow physical precious metals like coins and bars within an IRA. Your ICA advisor can help you determine the right trustee for you. ICA has been the industry leader in this regard since the IRS allowed for the IRA option in 1986.
No. The IRS requires precious metals in an IRA to be held within a trust account, stored at an approved facility.
Yes. However, during the previous confiscation, there were exemptions that allowed gold owners to continue to possess, buy, sell or trade gold freely. Your ICA advisor can further explain the history of gold confiscation around the world, and the products offering the best protection should that happen again.
There is no reason to believe another confiscation of gold by the US Government would result in the IRA assets being treated any differently than the privately held assets.
No. It means the dealer is not required to take your social security number at time of liquidation and issue a 1099. If you have sold at a profit, you are required to report it on your taxes.
We believe in building a metals position based on purpose, not product. Some may value long-term preservation, while others focus on investment strategy. Everyone directs varying portions of their metals position to accomplish each of the important goals he or she has for the portfolio. Although it is unlikely any of our employees would have identical portfolios, there are a number of factors we all agree on.
- Products manufactured by government mints or COMEX approved manufacturers take precedence over lesser-quality options.
- Companies selling common products as collectibles at unsubstantiated premiums should be frowned upon.
- Education, a balanced strategy, and a flexible mix of products offer a superior advantage in the long run.
Location is entirely up to you. Many clients have acquired a safe for security. We discourage burying your gold as this often results in damage or loss. A safe deposit box at a bank may be a better option in that scenario.
ICA stands for International Collectors Associates and has been our name since Don McAlvany founded our company in 1972. Our name originated at a time when gold bullion was not legal to be personally owned or traded in the United States; only collectible and religious forms of gold coins were allowed.
Learn How to Double
Your Ounces Without
Investing Another Dollar
Your Ounces Without
Investing Another Dollar
Get our FREE REPORT
Request a Complimentary Portfolio Review
No two portfolios are exactly alike. Your family and goals present a unique set of parameters. Let us advise you on the best diversification strategy for securing your family’s financial future. We’d love to help!
Schedule a complimentary portfolio review: